PHOTO BY MICK REYNOLDS
show notes s01 e05
Irish Mythology Podcast
Iúil 09, 2020
Dawning of the Dé (part 3): Fate of the Firbolg
Thank you for listening to this episode!
Here you’ll find our notes, links to research and some personal highlights from your hosts.
Welcome | fáilte
In this episode we hear the culmination of the saga of the coming of the gods to Ireland and talk about Nuada, Sreng, war gods and Cong Co. Mayo and we ask:
- How do we know Nuada was a war god?
- What other gods does he share attributes with?
- What is the role of the war god?
- Why are the Fir Bolg associated with Connaught?
- How do we resolve contradictions in the old texts?
We also talk a bit more about the Tuath Dé and the idea of a pantheon of Irish gods and the historical context to the texts this story comes from. .
The Culmination of a saga. A bloody battle that will decide the future of Ireland. Can the mighty Fir Bolg repel the almighty power of the gods?
We talk about Nuada, Sreng, war gods and Cong, Co. Mayo.
- “The First Battle of Moytura.” Ériu 8 (1916): 1-63. Accessed May 13, 2020. www.jstor.org/stable/30005394.
- Battle and Battlefield of Maigh Tuireadh Conga – Sir William Wilde, 1867 http://www.carrowkeel.com/sites/cong/cong3.html
- The Poetic Edda
- The Prose Edda
Where it all happens
Written, presented and produced by Marcas Ó hUiscín and Stephanie Ní Thiarnaiígh.
Music – Celtic Warrior by Damiano Baldoni (licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 public licence
All sounds cc or attribution licence.
Sounds on attribution licence from freesound.org –
- Miguetelo SINISTER ATMOSPHERE
- Joedeshon ADULTS GATHERING FOR A MEETING
- Piano Farm – Cows Attacking Red Tail Hawk
- Yap Audio Production – Medieval Army Marching
- Yap_Audio_Production – Medieval Combat
- Metzik – Throatsinging
- Mshashen – Wind
- Inspector J – Smashing wooden fence