show notes s03 e06
Irish Mythology Podcast
Deireadh Fómhair 31, 2022
Samhain – Halloween Special: Nera’s Adventures in the Otherworld
Thank you for listening to this episode!
Here you’ll find our notes, links to research and some personal highlights from your hosts.
Welcome | fáilte
In this episode we hear how Nera accepts a spooky Halloween challenge and meets a talking corpse, the restless dead, the king of the good people, marries a woman of the Aos Sí and travels in time.
- What did Halloween mean for our ancestors?
- Why are the restless dead restless?
- Why does time work differently in the Sí?
- Why should you not go out alone on Halloween night?
- What are the cycles of Irish Mythology?
The walking dead, a talking corpse, a journey to the otherworld!
Join Nera as he accepts a Halloween challenge that ends up being a lot more than he bargained for.
We talk horror in Irish mythology, the good people, the restless dead and time travel!
Starring: Nera, A hanged man
Co-Starring: The King of the Sí, A fairy woman, The Morrígan, Queen Medbh, King Ailil.
A cautionary tale on why you never go out alone on Halloween Night.
- Echtra Nerai in the original Irish with English translation (Kumo Meyer).
- The Text in English only
- Carey, J. (1988). Sequence and Causation in Echtra Nerai. Ériu, 39, 67–74.
Written, presented and produced by Marcas Ó hUiscín and Stephanie Ní Thiarnaigh.
Music – Celtic Warrior by Damiano Baldoni (licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 public licence https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode
All other sounds Creative Commons
Art by Nance Kinane
Sponsored by McCaffrey Crafts