show notes s01 e08
Irish Mythology Podcast
Deireadh Fómhair, 22, 2020
Dian Cecht and Nuada’s Silver Arm
Thank you for listening to this episode!
Here you’ll find our notes, links to research and some personal highlights from your hosts.
Welcome | fáilte
In this episode we hear about Dian Cecht and how he recruits the smiths, Gobniu and Credne to help him create a new arm for the deposed Chieftan Nuada.. We ask:
- What was Dian Cecht’s role in myth and in the old pagan religion?
- What is Dian Cecht’s relationship to Brehon Law?
- What makes Dian Cecht a symbol of the medical profession?
- Why were Blacksmiths considered to have supernatural powers?
- How do we resolve contradictions in medieval mythological texts?
Dian Cecht receives Ogma’s message and sets out to find a way of fighting back against Bres’s tyranny. He recruits the blacksmith Gobniu and the silversmith Credne to help him create a new arm for the former High Chief of the Gods, Nuada.
- The Second Battle of Moytura
- Berba in the Metrical Dindshenchas
- Patrick’s Hymn in the Thesaurus Paleohibernicus
- The St. Gall Incantations
- Ireland’s Immortals, A History of the Gods of Irish Myth – Mark Williams
- A Guide to Early Irish Law – Fergus Kelly
Written, presented and produced by Marcas Ó hUiscín and Stephanie Ní Thiarnaigh.
Music – Celtic Warrior by Damiano Baldoni (licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 public licence
All sounds cc licence from freesound.org