- The Causeway Coast, Antrim photo credit: U123072 on en:Flickr
show notes s02 e07
Irish Mythology Podcast
Iúil 15, 2021
Son of Fomóir: Bres, Éire, and the Fomorians
Thank you for listening to this episode!
Here you’ll find our notes, links to research and some personal highlights from your hosts.
Welcome | fáilte
In this episode we hear about Bres and Éire’s quest to find Bres’s Fomorian father. It might not be as happy a reunion for Éire as it is for Bres..
- Who are the Fomorians?
- Why are there so few stories involving Éire/Eiriu?
- What do the vikings have to do with The Second Battle of Moytura?
- What can the modern Irish language tell us about Mythology?
- Is Elatha a social justice warrior?
Bres is throwing a strop after losing the throne so he goes to the least reliable person in his life for help (his dad).
His mother, Éire, comes along too.
Along the way they encounter strange human/goat hybrids and a potentially fatal ball game.
Starring: Bres, Éire, Elatha.
Co-Starring various Fomorians.
We talk about how an Irish word that has only recently fallen out of use might be a clue to one of the biggest mysteries in Irish Mythology.
A cautionary tale on why you should always make a tryst before sleeping with a stranger.
- The Second Battle of Moytura
- Ireland’s Immortals, A History of the Gods of Irish Myth – Mark Williams
- Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla (Ó Dónaill, 1977)
- Arán agus Im (Show by Manchán Magan)
Written, presented and produced by Marcas Ó hUiscín and Stephanie Ní Thiarnaigh.
Music – Celtic Warrior by Damiano Baldoni (licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 public licence
All sounds cc licence from freesound.org